Introduction to the Solar Wind Joy Indicator
The Solar Wind Joy Indicator is a technical analysis tool used in trading to help identify potential buying and selling opportunities. It was originally created by a developer named Mladen in the early 2000s, though its origins are a bit murky.
The indicator is based on the famous Fisher Transform indicator but with some modifications. Over the years it has developed a reputation for being one of the most popular – and controversial – indicators in the trading world.
How the Solar Wind Joy Indicator Works
The Solar Wind Joy Indicator plots a histogram in a separate window below the price chart. The histogram colors change between green and red to signal potential trend changes.
- Green bars suggest an uptrend or opportunities to buy
- Red bars suggest a downtrend or opportunities to sell
The indicator employs a complex algorithm that analyzes current and historical price data to determine overbought and oversold conditions in the market. It then translates that information into an easy-to-interpret visual histogram.
The main settings a trader can adjust are:
- Period – The number of bars analyzed to calculate the indicator values
- Smoothing – Smooths the indicator line to filter out market noise
- Price – Which price to use in the calculation (Close, Open, High, Low etc.)
By fine tuning these parameters, traders can customize the indicator signals to suit different trading styles, timeframes and currency pairs.
The Controversy Around the Solar Wind Joy Indicator
The Solar Wind Joy Indicator has developed a poor reputation amongst some traders for two key reasons:
- Repainting – This is when an indicator changes its past values as new price data comes in. This gives false signals when backtesting and makes it unreliable. The Solar Wind Joy is well known to repaint.
- Coding flaws – As it was created by modifying another indicator, some expert coders claim the Solar Wind Joy has major flaws in its script and calculations. This means its signals should not be trusted.
However, the indicator still has a big following amongst traders. This is because when optimized, it can generate very accurate signals on certain currency pairs and timeframes. Mastering the nuances of the Solar Wind Joy and combining it with other indicators is key to getting the best results.
How to Trade Using the Solar Wind Joy Indicator
The Solar Wind Joy Indicator can be applied to forex trading in a few different ways. Here are some of the most common methods:
Trend Following Strategy
This straightforward approach involves using the Solar Wind Joy Histogram to determine the current market trend.
- Buy signals – When the histogram bars turn green, it signifies an uptrend. This suggests going long.
- Sell signals – When the bars turn red, it indicates a downtrend. This suggests going short.
Stops and targets are then set based on recent swing points created in the market.
This method relies on strong trending moves and can result in whipsaws during consolidation periods with the Solar Wind Joy Indicator.
This strategy involves looking for extreme readings in the Solar Wind Joy Histogram for reversal trade signals.
- Buy signals – When the histogram reaches its maximum red value in an oversold area, it can signal exhausted sellers and a potential bounce higher.
- Sell signals – When the histogram spikes to its maximum green value in an overbought zone, it can suggest over-eager buyers and an impending move lower.
This approach attempts to fade the indicator signals, but timing the reversals accurately is difficult.
Combining with Other Indicators
Using the Solar Wind Joy with complementary indicators can create a more robust trading system with clearer signals.
Some examples include:
- Moving Averages – Gives trend direction context for the Solar Wind Joy signals
- Oscillators – Helps gauge extreme overbought/oversold readings to find reversals
- Volume – Adds support for high probability breakout signals
Creating a set of trading rules for a specific market condition using a mix of indicators is key to success.
Check our advanced Forex Master Levels Indicator
Optimizing the Solar Wind Joy Indicator Settings
Due to its flaws, optimizing the indicator settings is critical to get the best performance from the Solar Wind Joy.
Some tips include:
- Test multiple periods – Higher values like 60 produce the most accurate signals
- Adjust the smoothing to filter out false signals
- Compare different price options like Close, Median or Typical Price
- Evaluate performance on various currency pairs and timeframes
- Use different settings for trending vs ranging markets
Spending time researching historical data will determine the most suitable parameters. Values that work well on the 15 minute EUR/USD might underperform on the 4 hour GBP/JPY for example.
The Solar Wind Joy Indicator for MT4 has proven itself to be one of the most controversial – yet popular – trading tools amongst the retail trading community.
While its coding and repainting issues rightly attract criticism, traders continue to champion its potential if optimized and applied correctly. Running thorough backtesting and combining it with other indicators, risk management rules and trading psychology are key to extracting profits.
Like any indicator, the Solar Wind Joy is simply a tool to assist in analyzing the charts. Understanding its nuances takes time and practice. Mastering it alongside the other core trading skills can give you an edge.