Darwin Swing EA Review: A Long-Term Swing Trading Solution
The Darwin Swing EA is an expert advisor designed for long-term Forex trading using swing trading strategies. Developed by Guillaume Duportal, it builds on the success of his previous EA called Darwin Evolution. In this comprehensive review, we will analyze the key features, performance statistics, strengths and weaknesses of the Darwin Swing trading robot.
Overview of Darwin Swing EA
The core strategy behind Darwin Swing EA is swing trading, which involves holding trades for several days to capture larger price movements. It identifies trade entry and exit levels based on support and resistance zones.
One of the innovative features of this EA is the ability to place virtual pending orders. These virtual orders are used to map out support and resistance levels across all 28 currency pairs. However, only a subset of the virtual orders get converted into real trades. This selective order execution helps limit risk exposure.
The Darwin Swing EA integrates over 8 custom indicators and filters when scanning the markets for trading opportunities. This includes popular technical indicators like moving averages, RSI, MACD and proprietary filters developed by the creator.
It is optimized for the M1 and M5 timeframes but can work on any timeframe. The minimum deposit is $1000 and ideal leverage is 1:100 to 1:500. It can work with any reputable broker that offers MetaTrader 4 or MetaTrader 5 platforms.
Performance Statistics and Backtests
According to the developer, it is not possible to backtest this EA since the logic for order placement is dynamic. However, real account trading histories are published which show the performance across different currency pairs.
The longest running live signal has been trading since July 2022 on a $5000 EURUSD account. As of December 2022, it has gained +15% with a max drawdown of less than 20%. The average monthly gain is around 3-4%, which aligns with the developer’s goal for steady long-term gains.
Considering the conservative approach of only risking 1-2% per trade, these are decent returns for an EA running fully automated strategies. However, the sample size is still quite small to conclusively judge the long-term profitability.
Main Features and Benefits
Here are some of the notable features and potential benefits of using the Darwin Swing EA:
- Swing Trading Strategies: Designed for patient traders looking for long-term gains over weeks and months. Not suitable for scalping or short-term day trading.
- Virtual Pending Orders: Innovative feature to identify dynamic support and resistance levels across 28 currency pairs. Helps map out high probability swing points.
- 8 Custom Indicators: Integrates moving averages, RSI, MACD and proprietary filters when scanning market conditions. Robust multi-indicator approach.
- Stealth Mode Trading: Trades are visible only when they reach take profit or stop loss. Keeps trading strategy discreet. Less chance of trades being hunted by brokers.
- Inbuilt News Filter: Special filter to avoid volatile news events and release of high impact forex news announcements. Helps circumvent whipsaw volatility.
- No Optimization Required: Developer has already optimized the EA for all settings and currency pairs. Plug and play installation.
- Low Risk Per Trade: Conservative 1-2% risk management enforced per trade. Smaller position sizing helps limit drawdowns during market corrections.
Pricing and Purchase Options
The Darwin Swing EA is sold exclusively on the MetaQuotes Marketplace and direct site purchases are not available. The launch price was $999 and has remained the same since release in July 2022.
There are no subscription plans or recurring billing. Instead, it is a one-time fee that includes lifetime license, updates, and unlimited activations on any number of accounts or VPS servers.
The developer mentions that the price will eventually increase to $1490 when a certain number of copies have been sold. So early adopters can benefit from the temporarily discounted price of $999.
Payment options include credit card, PayPal, Skrill, Neteller, WebMoney and other popular payment gateways integrated into the MQL5 payment system.
Check our advanced Forex Scouts Gold V9 Robot
Using the Darwin Swing EA
Installation: Like all MQL5 bought EAs, installation involves just dragging and dropping the ex4 file from the purchases section into the MT4 or MT5 platform. Since it is already optimized, no further configuration is necessary.
Configuration: Simply attach the EA to any currency pair chart like EURUSD M1 timeframe and turn on allow live trading. Monitor the trades on the chart as well as the accounting report for tracking performance.
Currencies: It can trade all 28 currency pairs but analysis of the statement reports shows greater preference for EUR, GBP and USD crosses like EURUSD, GBPUSD and other majors.
Timeframes: The developer recommends using M1 charts. But based on community feedback, M5 or M15 charts also work well with default settings.
Brokers: It works with all brokers but ECN/STP brokers with fast execution and variable spreads are ideal to maximize profitability of trades.
Risk: Use only the recommended settings of 1-2% risk per trade. Do not alter the built-in money management rules of the EA.
Strengths of the Darwin Swing EA
- Innovative use of virtual pending orders to identify dynamic support and resistance levels across 28 currency pairs
- Integrates over 8 custom indicators and filters for a robust trading approach
- Conservative risk management with max 2% risk per trade
- Stealth mode trading helps avoid trade hunting by brokers
- Specialized news filter to skip trading during high impact events
- No optimization needed, ready to use default settings
- Actively maintained and updated by the developer
Limitations of the Darwin Swing EA
- Long-term strategy, not suitable for traders seeking quick profits
- Limited performance history available for review
- Expensive compared to other EAs, no trial option
- Developer account trading statistics show moderate profitability
- Requires VPS and 24/5 connectivity for optimal performance
- High quality ECN/STP broker recommended for best results
Darwin Swing EA Review Conclusions
The Darwin Swing EA brings some innovative concepts like virtual pending orders and stealth mode trading to automated trading. For traders looking for a hands-off swing trading solution across multiple currency pairs, it is certainly an interesting option.
However, the premium pricing and lack of an extended track record raises some questions. As with any EA, conducting proper due diligence is highly recommended before committing real capital. Always use the free demo account provided by brokers to backtest performance.
Overall, Darwin Swing EA shows promise but needs to stand the test of time across different market conditions to validate its long-term profitability claims. It seems best suited for intermediate to advanced traders given the technical knowledge needed to fully assess automated trading systems.